Fundamentals of a Prevailing Prayer (2)
You get better at praying by praying but you need to learn the principles of prayer – Luke 11:1.4 – Prayer is taught. Fundamental means basic, requires and principles. To prevail means to breakthrough, overcome, subdue and win.
Prayer that will bring answers must be conducted with a heart of gratitude. God checks the state of our heart and will not accept the person whose heart is not grateful – Psalm 100:1-5. To approach God on any subject matter, praise, worship and thanksgiving must be in place. An acceptable prayer must begin by the worship of God.
Don’t allow the problems that you want to present to God labour your heart that you forget to approach God the way He has laid out to you. God is a God of order. God will never reject worship nor will He ever deny a worshipper. All is seeking God but He is seeking some (those who will worship Him in spirit and in truth).
It is not always easy to be thankful but you have to chose to be thankful in spite of what is happening or not happening around you. God can turn bad to good. You must know that God does not like a murmurer – 1st Corinthians 10:10. When something goes wrong, tell yourself God is always right because He is a God of faithfulness. Gratefulness is the secret of true greatness – 2nd Corinthians 4:17-18 (anything you are passing through has an expiry date).
Many people have become victims of things that they are happening around them and have become losers of the things that they do not see. Nehemiah 1:3, Daniel 9:1-4. To be thankless is to be helpless. If you always want help from God, you have to be thankful. Look for the small mercies and use it to elicit thanksgiving in your heart – Acts 4:23-24, John 6:11.
Fundamentals of a Prevailing Prayer
God’s purpose for the platform of prayer should be used to the benefit of His people. Prayer is not crying and neither is it shouting. It is to exchange weakness to strength, inability to His ability. The platform of prayer is made available to us to receive help and answers from Heaven.
The Functions of Scriptural Praying
1. It presents an opportunity to worship the Living God.You learn to pray by being taught to pray but you perfect your prayer by practice. Prayer should not be assumed, it should be taught. Prayer is as technical as flying an aircraft – Luke 11:2. Worship opens the door to His Presence. To get justice from an earthly king, you follow the protocol. God wants to hear you call His name and talk to Him about His unfailing faithfulness. You express to Him how much you appreciate Him.
2. To provoke supernatural interventions – Hebrews 4:16, Psalm 120:1, Psalm 121:1.God can help you directly by changing times and season or indirectly by using people.
3. To generate tremendous power. It is the fuel on which the vehicle of your destiny will run. Everyone is born with a glorious destiny but it takes grace to put your life into motion. When you pray, you are loading your destiny with grace to function – James 5:16. A car without fuel is a burden, so also is a destiny without prayers. The time you spend in prayer is not a wasted time.
4. It presents the platform to build your faith. The quality of life you live depends on your level of faith -Galatians 3:11 Jude 1:20
5. Prayer grants access to divine direction – Psalm 25:12. Many are suffering just because of one wrong choice. Psalm 32:8 – there is a way you should go, Isaiah 48:17.
6. Prayer presents a platform for intercession. Every one of us is called to stand in the gap for the nation, their families and other people – Ezekiel 22:30, Psalm 89:20
7. Prayer is a platform to present our petition. Petition refers to the daily issues of our lives – Matthew 7:7-8.
8. Prayer presents to you the tools of warfare – James 5:13. In praying there shall be intervention.